Rotta sits on some of the finest grape growing soils in the famed Willow Creek District of the West side of Paso Robles. On the tail end of the Santa Lucia Mountain Range our vineyards hang off the steep hillsides comprised of old bedrock with largely Calcareous soils.
Amongst the stratified layers of calcarious rock are occasional patches of younger marine sedimentary rocks of the Miocene age Monterey Formation.
These soils are laden with old marine fossils and the occasional chunk of the famed Paso “whale bone”.
Being one of the furthest West appellations nestled in the heart of the Templeton Gap, our micro climate is heavily influenced by our proximity to the Pacific Ocean and the hills and valleys that surround us. The result is warm sunny days and cool nights with temperatures falling 30 degrees in the late afternoon. This diurnal fluctuation is cornerstone to maintaining the acidity levels in our grapes while slowly achieving perfect ripeness. This microclimate married with the complex rock soils laced with marine fossils produce exceptional wines with an absolute sense of place. Something the French refer to as “terrior”. 20 acres Planted on the West Side Estate Vineyard at an elevation of 1200 ft:
- Zinfandel, Old vine, Head trained
- Cabernet Sauvignon, old vine Head Trained
- Cabernet Franc, head trained
- Cabernet Sauvignon, new planting trellised, cane pruned
- Malbec, new planting, trellised, cane pruned
- Tempranillo, new planting, trellised, cane pruned
On the Eastside of Paso Robles is our 92 acre Buena Vista Vineyard. Rows running east to west on the Estrella Bench, reside in alluvial, sandy loam soil laced with crushed calcareous rock and river stone. Excellent drainage and light soils stress the vines to produce grapes of intense flavor and character. Again, the warm days and cool nights have a dramatic impact on acid levels. This diurnal temperature fluctuation, “The Paso effect”, produces the juicy ripeness that is indicative of amazing Bordeaux varietals.
- Petit Verdot, trellised, bilateral cordon
- Cabernet Sauvignon, trellised, bilateral cordon
- Merlot, trellised, bilateral
- Petit Sirah, trellised, bilateral cordon
- Sauvignon Blanc, trellised, bilateral cordon